The Department of Natural Resources is hiring an LTE - Customer Service Representative in our central office location at 101 S. Webster Street in Madison, WI!
The DNR offers a fun, casual work environment and opportunities for career development. The DNR is an inclusive, diverse agency that prides itself on commitment to sustainability and giving back to the community by participating in fundraisers for charities. Come join the Department of Natural Resources where you can contribute to rewarding and meaningful work!
Natural Resources Customer Service Representative
This position serves as a first point of contact for the public and other law enforcement agencies throughout the state, receiving and documenting calls routed through the DNR TIPLINE regarding potential violations of natural resources, environmental protection or recreational vehicle safety laws. Calls are then dispatched to wardens for follow-up. This position also receives and documents information from the National Spill Response Center or other public and private entities regarding hazardous substance spills, then dispatches to appropriate staff for follow-up. This position also serves as dispatch service for Wisconsin Emergency Management where it assists in the coordination of Law Enforcement efforts in response to wild land fires, spills, floods, tornadoes or other emergencies. This position will work the 2nd shift (11:30am to 10:00pm).
- Evaluate and prioritize hotline, spill line complaints, and Wisconsin Emergency Management situations to determine the potential risk to health, safety, and risk of environmental damage.
-Determine the priority, the appropriate responder, and what supplemental information would be helpful in conducting the investigation.
- Represent the Bureaus of Customer Service, Fisheries Management, Law Enforcement in providing information; and interpreting rules, regulations, and laws that govern boating and fishing in Wisconsin.
- Provide explanation of alternatives where options are available.
- Problem-solve individual situations and circumstances where current rules and regulations are not clear or do not specifically address a customer need.
- Complete Call For Service (CFS) forms for every call received on the Violation Hotline, Wisconsin Emergency Hotline, and Officer Assistance Dispatch Line.
- Categorize CFS forms correctly and dispatch to the appropriate person in a timely manner.
- Perform other miscellaneous duties as assigned.
Hours: no less than 30 hours and no more than 40 hours per week. Availability to work nights and weekends is required. This is a perfect position for a college student, a retiree, or an individual looking for temporary work.
NOTE: This position will work the 2nd shift (11:30am to 10:00pm). Availability to work scheduled hours on Memorial Day, Fourth of July and Labor Day is essential for this job given the large volume of customer contacts during the boating and fishing seasons. Holiday work time will be compensated with holiday pay of time-and-a-half.
This is a limited term (LTE) position. Limited term positions do not automatically lead to or enjoy the same benefits as permanent employment, but this position does offer valuable work experience and an opportunity to learn more about career opportunities with the Department of Natural Resources and the State of Wisconsin. LTE employees are limited to working 1039 hours within a twelve-month period. In order to be considered for this position, you must be a resident of the State of Wisconsin. Non-residents may apply, but must meet residency requirements upon hire.
Employment will require the selected candidate to pass a background check. DNR does not sponsor work visas, thus, in compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify eligibility to work in the United States by completing the required
The DNR is an equal opportunity employer that promotes and values diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
Required Qualifications: - Ability to accurately interpret Department rules and regulations - Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written - Ability to exercise good judgement in handling customer inquiries - Ability to prioritize and organize effectively - Strong knowledge of dispatching techniques