This is a day shift position working under the direction of the Superintendent of Buildings and Grounds. This employee’s main responsibilities are to perform a wide variety of custodial duties in the Wisconsin Historical Society’s headquarters building, 816 State St., or at the Historical Museum at 30 North Carroll Street, Madison WI. The duties of this position also includes assisting with set ups for meetings and conferences in various meeting rooms and in the auditorium, performing grounds care operations such as snow removal, lawn care and periodic trimming of trees and shrubs, and assists other staff members with other tasks such as moving furniture. The employee works alone or as part of a team as directed. Must be able to change work assignments as needed to cover for other absent personnel.
This position requires 20 hours per week with flexible scheduling, if needed, and will serve an ongoing function. Please note, the position does not include paid time off or benefits upon hire.
Duties of the Custodian include:
Cleaning and general custodial care of the Society Headquarters building
- Dust, mop, sweep, and polish floors, walls, ceilings, shelving, furniture and woodwork in public and staff occupied areas.
- Wash windows as needed.
- Clean Venetian blinds, drapes and curtains as instructed.
- Clean rest rooms, remove trash and keep paper product dispensers filled.
- Empty trash containers in building and insure proper disposal. Clean and sanitize waste containers as needed. Collect trash and maintain the physical appearance of the outside of the building and adjacent grounds.
- Assist with setting up physical arrangements for special meetings, conferences and programs.
- Follow established safety procedures for handling chemicals; location of MSDS files, proper use of hand tools, ladders, etc.
- In season, perform snow removal operations as necessary. Remove ice and snow from sidewalks and terraces around the building, including vehicle-parking area.
- Use snow blowers, shovels and brooms as necessary to keep walkways clear of ice and snow. Apply salt as needed to insure safe walking surfaces are maintained during freezing conditions.
- Assist with trimming of trees and shrubs.
- Use brooms, rakes and leave blowers to keep walkways clear of leaves and debris as necessary.
- Assist staff with other duties such as moving of furniture as needed.
- Follow established practices and procedures for the safe use of tools and equipment materials and equipment utilized in performing assigned duties.
A well-qualified candidate will possess the following:
- Ability to communicate with other staff and the general public.
- Understanding the various methods of custodial operations and related activities and have the capacity to organize work to obtain optimum balance.
- Understanding of Society policies and practices, for performing a wide variety of building cleaning, sanitizing and related custodial work in a safe and efficient manner.
- General understanding of the mechanical principles, materials, tools and equipment, methods techniques and terminology used in cleaning and sanitizing operations.
- Qualified candidates will have the ability to move furniture, operate floor and carpet equipment, and work an 8 hour shift
- The ability to use professional cleaning products
- The ability to read and understand work instructions and schedules, warning signs and instruction manuals for equipment operation
- This position requires material handling up to 50 lbs. and pushing/pulling up to 100 lbs.