The Business & Investment Attraction Senior Director is tasked with the design and implementation of a strategic and methodical approach to business attraction efforts within WEDC and the State of Wisconsin. He/she represents Wisconsin and WEDC services in a customer-center manner. Also, he/she will develop relationships and promote Wisconsin to target audiences through proactive outreach, event coordination, and networking opportunities. The Business & Investment Attraction Senior Director will serve as the lead contact for site selectors, consultants and commercial real estate professionals seeking information about Wisconsin, and he/she is a key member of a project team, participates in program and project development, disseminates project information and is an active participant in project-related work groups and committees.
The Business & Investment Attraction Senior Director will spend a majority of his/her time in these activities:
• Act as the primary point person for inquiries relative to business attraction opportunities.
• Act as the project manager on business attraction efforts, including the management of the Real Estate & Location Specialist and its duties.
• Work as part of the foreign direct investment team in addition to national business attraction
• Pursue companies identified through research efforts to fill supply chain gaps.
• Oversee the “Locate In Wisconsin” tool and the “Certified Sites” program
• Ensure full communication on economic development resources available from WEDC.
• Train and model economic development organizational excellence specific to business attraction efforts.
• Facilitate best in class business attraction efforts of WEDC partners throughout the state.
• Coordinate with other WEDC divisions to advance organizational objectives.
• Work with the Business and Community Development team to support division strategies and performance.
• Participate in state, national and international site-selection or industry/trade activities, seminars and conferences.
• Foster relationships within industry networks that provide business attraction and expansion opportunities in Wisconsin.
• Represent WEDC in speaking engagements with target audiences.
• Provide leadership for direct reports.
• Other duties as assigned
Any individual interested in applying for this role need not be at a Senior Director level, as we will consider applicants of varying skill degrees.
In-state travel will occur on a regular basis, 20%-30% of the time. National travel will also be required from time-to-time, as well as possible international travel.
This position is eligible for reimbursement according to the Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) program. This position requires the employee to provide a mobile device that allows for phone, text, and email access.
• Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Marketing, Real Estate or related field or comparable education/experience/training.
• Minimum of five years of experience in economic development or related field required.
• Proven sales or business attraction experience preferred.
• MBA or Commercial Real Estate certification(s) preferred.
Skills and Talents:
• Ability to foster relationships that produce quality attraction leads.
• Ability to successfully recruit companies through proactive outreach, project development and deal closure.
• Demonstrated ability to partner and influence at all levels in the community and to be viewed as a credible, valuable source of information and integral part of the team.
• Strong presentation skills.
• Strong project management skills.
• Ability to manage multiple projects.
• Strong customer relationship management skills.
• Demonstrated planning, decision making, and problem-solving techniques.
• Demonstrated ability to evaluate and assess projects for funding need and make sound recommendations for financial awards.
• Ability to solve complex problems, sound reasoning, independent judgment and initiative to accomplish tasks.
• Advanced computer skills with Microsoft Office suite of products including database management (CRM) and other software or applications associated with assigned work.
• Ability to work with and direct research team to mine and analyze data of targeted industries to provide 1) the identification of business leads, and 2) sound industry data to support attraction efforts.
• Demonstrated understanding of the development and location strategies of companies seeking to expand or relocate.